On June 8, I had the privilege of participating in a session on student success at the Eduventures Summit in Boston with for-profit co-panelists Alan Drimmer, CEO of Promoted Inc. and former provost for University of Phoenix, and Diane Longhurst Johnson, president of New Charter University. Topics focused on our student demographics, the relevance of tax status to how students learn, policies/ actions we hope to see from the new administration, the potentially changing competitive landscape and implications of the proposed Purdue-Kaplan acquisition, and such issues as gainful employment and default ratios. These were clearly some difficult questions for any such panelist, let alone a new president like myself, to address.
Editor's note: Our university’s core mission is to educate -- and remember -- those who serve. In this week’s guest post, jointly published on AMU's In Military, U.S. Army & U.S. Air Force veteran and AMU Ambassador Wes O’Donnell addresses John F. Kennedy's lasting legacy of peace.
As part of my practicum for my Master of Public Health degree for American Military University, I participated in the #Bhepbfree campaign launched May 1, 2016, during Hepatitis B Awareness Month. The campaign resulted in 1.1 million Washington state residents being reached through social media and has become a prominent topic well beyond as many other states and organizations have similarly raised awareness about a disease that is rarely discussed. The agency that used this application is known as Thunderclap, a crowdsourcing tool that helps to amplify the message on a specified day and time across different social media platforms.
The APUS class of 2017 is a diverse group of nearly 11,000 men and women, with roughly 20% earning associates degrees, 50% bachelor’s degrees and 30% masters degrees. Of this total, approximately 80% are American Military University graduates and 20% American Public University graduates representing 24 countries worldwide. About one-third of our total graduates earn their degree with honors. Overall, they are amazing women and men dedicated to service, to advancing their lives and their careers, and to learning.
University commencements are always special events. Charged with emotion and excitement, there is an overwhelming feeling of growth and change, people moving from one important phase of their life to another, with new and promising challenges. This year at the American Public University System commencement, the feeling was no different.
At the 2017 annual APUS Commencement ceremonies on May 13, Dr. Karan Powell proudly announced that on July 1, 2017, APUS will begin taking applications for two new applied doctoral programs in global security and strategic intelligence. As a result, APUS moves from being a master’s-level to doctoral-granting institution, a significant milestone that furthers our continuing mission of creating high-quality programs focused on educating the nation’s military and public service communities.